Test123

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Dreading the email.

Do you dread reading the email? I do. Not the thought of plodding through them, but opening them for the first time to find some nasty emergency/hot issue.

So I end up checking it every now and then. At midnight, if I don't get sleep. On weekends. While traveling. While eating. When I'm bored.

While it might seem pretty innocuous, it has been stressful. It's always there at the back of my mind. I haven't taken a vacation where I've completely switched off emails from start to end.

Until I fell sick last month. 3 weeks without email. It has been really "liberating".

I've now stopped syncing email on my WP7. Unpinned it from the first screen. And I don't check emails after work. Or before work.


PS: Opened my inbox today morning and there were THREE P1s. Including a follow-up from the VP. Another hour without response, and I'd have got a call. While all of the above still holds true, opening the inbox and finding High Importance! fix-or-die emails is always stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment